Wednesday, March 6, 2013

MALT

Last Tuesday evening, Febuary 26th, my doctor phoned. It was the same doctor who had preformed a routine Colonoscopy, and added an EGD at my request on Febuary 6th.. The same doctor that had assured me that biopsies would be evaluated, but that everything looked good. The mild epigastric symptoms I had been having were attributed to a small patch of gastritis.

This phone call changed all that. Biopsies from the colon were benign. Biopsies from the area of gastritis were not.  It is a type of non-Hodgkins lymphoma referred to as MALT, or mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue. Malt can occur in the eye orbit, the conjunctiva, salivary glands, thyroid, skin, lungs, stomach or intestines. It is typically slow growing.

Tomorrow I may have more information about the stage of my lymphoma. It is presumed to have been detected early since the area looked benign, was localized, and symptoms were mild. I may need further testing. Bone marrow evaluation for example is common. The doctor that gave me the unwelcome news was quick to say that extensive testing had been done on the samples, and  that this type of lymphoma is very treatable. While on the phone with him I was already dreading telling those I love, and so recall only some of the details he provided. The samples were reported as small type B cells, and are associated with the best possible outcomes. Since then I have done a great deal of reading and will go armed with questions.

I will ask for example about the antigens that were found. Were there CD23 or BC1-1 expressions noted? Was  CD10 present? If so, how many? I know that all of this is technical and will mean nothing to you  but I tell you so that you know that I will do all I can to be able to relay accurate information, and answer questions for loved ones and friends.

It strikes me that few who must confront a cancer diagnosis are as fortunate as I, both in terms of prognosis and in how equipped I am to understand the information that I am provided. I have a strong support system also, in Tonia, my son, and the rest of my family. A multitude of friends also offer their support; those unafraid to walk a very human journey with me, and those of the non-homosapian variety who both depend on me, and nurture.

Life is a journey. Each and every one of us have right now to cherish and to build upon. I hope to take full advantage of all of my experiences, and perhaps better equip others to face their own, or their loved ones challenges and to find hyacinths along their way.

12 comments:

  1. It may be just me but I always thought you were stronger than cancer.

    I just lost a friend to lung cancer and I really appreciate if you would make sure I do not lose another.

    You have my number so if you need to talk, or to listen, or to just sit and be amazed at something a horse or a dog did, call me, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,I know you lost your friend; and my heart goes out to you. In the scheme of things I am fortunate. Rest assured I will be calling my friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. There is no one I know who deserves this less, but as we all know, "deserves" has nothing to do with it. Rest assured that I am thinking of you, Deb, and sending all good energy your way.

    I am certain the Tonia and the animals, as well as your son and granddaughters, will take good care of you, and provide you with all the healing energy you need.

    Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for all the support. I will sure keep you updated.

      Delete
  3. Well crap!

    Wishing you all the best as you beat this bastard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauralee. I appreciate that. Here's hoping I can bring some good from all this for others.

      Delete
  4. Very sorry to hear this news, Deb. But I'm encouraged by the fact that they've caught it early and that it's very treatable. I'm confident that you'll come out of this as strong as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, you're in my heart, thoughts, and prayers. I know you can beat this. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, You know I'm here for you always. When you feel the urge again, give me a call.

    ReplyDelete